Time-lapse photography workshop
It may seem that time-lapse photography is very recent, but people has been using the technique for a quite some time. Movies like Koyaanisqatsi (1982) and Baraka (1992) use the technique to tell stories only visually and without dialogue, that is why they are great examples people keep bringing up when talking about time-lapse. But it wasn’t until a few years ago that the technique became quite popular, in part thanks to the Internet and also because now people have access to low cost camera gear that makes possible creating footage with the technique.
In recent years productions of all types have been using time-lapse, from TV shows to movies, from Hollywood-like budget productions to independent ones. Today just one person is enough to create high quality content using the technique, that was not possible before since the gear was quite heavy for one person to carry around and it was pretty expensive as well.
Currently, time-lapse photography is everywhere and anybody with creativity, dedication and few resources is able to create high quality content using the technique.
My goal is to teach you what a time-lapse is, not just as a video created from photographs, but as a resource you can use on an audiovisual production as well.
You will get to know about the different types of applications a time-lapse has (there are different branches of time-lapse photography), and you will learn about all the technical knowledge needed to create time-lapse videos.
By analyzing different examples, you will learn about the pre-production, production and post-production of time-lapses and how to avoid common mistakes when shooting them in order to get the best possible footage. Even though we will work with stills, you will learn to see those pictures from a different perspective, understanding that they will have motion in the end, and that that will take us a step closer to a video production.
The workshop is for people who
- Have basic knowledge about photography (know how to use manual mode)
- Have a camera with manual mode
- Have a tripod
- Have an intervalometer
- Have these software installed on their computer
- Lightroom Classic CC
- LRTimelapse (free up to 400 images per folder) – Here you will find a solution to this limitation
- Adobe DNG Converter (free – You need this program for LRTimelapse to work properly)
- Shotcut (free and optional, read below under Contents > Editing)
- If you have a laptop, bring it with you with all the software installed (I don’t install applications during the workshop)
- What is time-lapse photography?
- Persistence of vision
- FPS and how they affect a time-lapse
- Time-lapses branches and different applications on an audiovisual
- Advantages and disadvantages of photo cameras against video cameras for creating time-lapses – Which one is better?
- How to get a correct motion blur
- What camera do you need to shoot a time-lapse?
- Other accesories for shooting time-lapses
- Scouting – How and why you should plan a time-lapse
- How to properly set up the camera to shoot a time-lapse
- Different interval times to get a proper time-lapse based on the subject
- Introduction to five day-to-night (holy grail) techniques
- Time-lapse calculations and formulas
- How to get the most out of a smartphone to capture great time-lapses
- How to edit a time-lapse
- Editing with Lightroom Classic CC
- Adjustments and corrections using LRTimelapse (transitions, deflicker, render and fixing common capture mistakes)
- How to cut time-lapses to a song in Shotcut
- How to import files
- Cutting (editing)
7.30hs divided in three modules: theory, practice and editing. 3hs for the theory module, 1.30hs for the practice and 3hs for the editing.
You will get the presentation I use to teach after the theory class.
Currently I am teaching in Spanish only, I am trying to improve my spoken English before teaching in that language.
Online support group
I offer free help after finishing the workshop on a Facebook group, where you can also share ideas and experiences among other students, as well as the results you get from the workshop.
You can get a workshop participation certificate for an extra ARS 100.
- By taking this workshop you get a 15% discount for the Shoot and edit day to night time-lapse course.
- By taking this workshop you get a 15% discount for the Introduction to time-lapse editing course.
In-person workshops can be done privately or by group and they have very flexible hours.
- Date and time at student’s convenience (theory and editing are 3hs long each, practice 1.30hs)
- Theory and editing location: Córdoba downtown.
- Practice location: Villa Carlos Paz coastal.
- Keep in mind that if there’s bad weather (rain), the practice gets postponed to the next day with good weather
When is the next workshop?
- WhatsApp broadcast list: add the number +54 9 351 2457662 to your contacts and send me a message with the text “I want to subscribe to the broadcast list“.
- Mailing list: subscribe using the form below